Trending Today

In 40 Days Of Mung Beans And Rice (Kitchari)


The humble mung bean is a delightful source of joy. Kitchari, a soupy stew made of mung beans and rice, is considered the best food for balance, according to Ayurveda. It can be used regardless of your allergies or constitution. It helps to reset your digestive system and cleanses your body from the inside. Kitchari also gives your skin that 'kitchari glow'. But here's the catch: The catch? You must eat only kitchari at every meal and can only drink water for 40 days. That's exactly what I did. The recipe is at the bottom of this post. Here's how it turned out...

WEEK ONE

The day before we started, I made a huge pot of kitchari and butternut. This is my first time doing this with Nish. It's great to have his support. The first few days have been difficult. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE kitchari. This was something I tried a few years back, but I didn't eat any nuts or fruit. I still enjoyed every minute. Perhaps I'm a bit more addicted to sugar now. These first few days, I feel tired and flu-like and miss my daily dose of 85% Green & Dark Chocolate. I miss snacking - bananas, almonds, and tangerines are all things that I used to eat to get through the day. It's amazing how cheap it is to eat three bowls of kitchari per day. Each bowl is less expensive than PS1. Day three is the worst. I feel exhausted and have a furry tongue. I feel less moody by the end of the week, and that may be because I haven't eaten any sugar or wheat. I lost the excess weight that I gained over the course of the week.

Read: 9 Foods That Can Help You Maintain An Erect And Strong Erection

WEEK TWO

This week was difficult. Particularly the first few days where I felt like I was at the bottom a very tall mountain of mung to climb. Despite feeling overwhelmed by how long it takes, I am happy to cancel all social engagements because I feel very introverted and want to curl up at home. I want to be close to the kitchen, where the kitchari lives. This restricts your freedom. If I have a hunger pang, I cannot just run to M&S to get a pineapple. This week I feel more energetic than exhausted. I feel like a tiny bee, ticking off the tasks on my to-do lists that have been sitting there for months.

WEEK THREE

It's back to feeling exhausted. But the 'doing energy' is still there. I'm painting the front door and sanding banisters. This might be due to the daily Sat Kriya practice that I do alongside my kitchari fast. At the end of each week, I take a multivitamin that includes extra iron and B12. It feels like I am dying from exhaustion and my body is desperately trying to get the nutrients it needs.

WEEK FOUR

Mood has been doing a crazy thing! Nish and me are engaging in a lot of silly little quarrels. Soon we realize how stupid we are, but kitchari seems to be bringing back old angers and frustrations. Rage can be triggered by even the smallest thing. With all the volatility around, it's a good kriya to be present. The good news is that I have now found a balance in my energy levels thanks to the supplements.

Read: How to Avoid Asthma Attacks!

WEEK FIVE

My best friend's weekend hen party was the biggest challenge. She's a boho chick so she wanted a hen party, not an all-night rave. We spent a weekend together in the country, enjoying all the festival trimmings. We ate the most delicious food - I even took some mung to keep me going. Amazingly, I didn't even drool at the food of others. My kitchari is a staple in my life. Everyone who has tried it raved about how delicious it was.

WEEK SIX

The end of the 40-days of kitchari coincides with the beginning of the next kundalini yoga teacher education module, Authentic Relationships. We all arrive excited to taste fruit. We were greeted with a bowl full of kitchari as dinner.

Read: How Does the Kiwi Affect Prosperity?

Here's how to make large batches of kitchari.

Boil 500g of mung beans for 10 minutes. Once it has boiled, strain the liquid and scoop out any scum. Add 500g of basmati rice to the pot. You can also add any vegetable you like (I love butternut, but you could also use courgette, spinach or other vegetables). You can also add flavourings and spices. The Kundalini Yoga recipe calls for onions, ginger, and garlic. However not all Ayurvedites support the use of trinity roots. Garam masala and turmeric are also excellent with this recipe. Play with it! Some are more soupy than others, while others are more mushy and some are a little drier. It's delicious and healthy. Enjoy!